Administrative Casework and Advocacy-Related Services

The Veterans’ Service Officer aids Veterans, Service Members, Families, Widows and Adult Disabled Children of Veterans who were disabled prior to the age of 18 with regard to all benefit-related filings. Most notably are filings for VA Service-Connected Compensation and Pension, Health Care and Aid and Attendance (A&A) Pension Benefits.

Those in need of Administrative Casework should call 618-296-4554 to schedule an appointment, so a time can be reserved to specifically address your needs. All walk-ins for casework will be scheduled for a future appointment as appropriate.

Click the below link if you are not a Madison County, IL resident and are looking for a Veterans' Service Officer in your geographical area:

Administrative Casework and Advocacy-Related Services:

  • Veterans’ Benefits Administration (VBA) compensation and pension claims filing
  • Veterans’ Health Administration (VHA) health care benefits enrollment
  • Aid and Attendance (A&A) pension benefits
  • Assistance in obtaining military records and medical documentation
  • Pre-Need National Cemetery Burial Eligibility Program
  • Assistance in obtaining private burial headstone, marker, or medallion
  • Local, state, and federal benefits filing
  • Application and forms processing
  • Vet Center one-on-one counseling
  • Weekly VAC/Vet Center groups
  • Assistance creating an account and obtaining a VA Benefits Summary Letter for Disability Homestead Property Tax Exemption
  • Assistance in determining eligibility and setting up an Illinois ABLE (Achieving a Better Life Experience) disability savings and investment account
  • Community resource referrals, as needed
  • Specialized information and referral services
  • Collection of and proper disposal of flags that are unserviceable
  • VA DAV Van Medical Appointment Transportation Program 
In limited situations, if your work hours do not allow you to make an appointment during normal VAC business hours, staff can make arrangements to open the office outside these hours or complete a phone and/or video appointment. If you are housebound, staff can also arrange to meet at your home or living facility. 

Documentation Typically Needed to Assist in Filing Claims:

  • Discharge Papers - DD214/s (Proof of Military Service from last and/or most recent period of service)
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Birth Certificates (required for dependents under age 18)
  • Divorce Degrees
  • Death Certificates
  • Medical Information (names and contact information of all physicians and hospitals)
  • Military Medical Records for In-service Injuries, Illnesses and Hospitalizations
  • Private Medical Records for on-going treatment related to In-service Injuries, Illnesses and Hospitalizations
  • Direct Deposit Bank Information

Contact Us:

If you are or know of a local Veteran, Veteran Family, Unremarried Widow of a Veteran or Adult Disabled Children of a Veteran who was disabled prior to the age of 18 in need of assistance or services, please contact the Veterans' Assistance Commission (VAC) at 618-296-4554 or via email at or on Facebook at @mcveterans

Any Veterans in Active Crisis or in need of immediate Medical Attention should call 911, go to the nearest Emergency Room and/or call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 or text to 838255.