What are Soft Skills? These are defined as skills or qualities that can be classified as a personality trait or habit, the behaviors you display in different situations and interaction with others.
Examples include: Interpersonal skills, communication skills, problem-solving, teamwork, work ethics, etc.
What is WIOA?
WIOA stands for Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act
WIOA is designed to help job seekers access employment, education, training, and support services to succeed in the labor market and to match employers with the skilled workers they need to compete in the global economy.
What are your eligibility requirements?
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Compliance with Military Selective Service Requirement for males 18 years or older
- Be at least 18 years or older
- Must meet low income guidelines OR receive benefits such as SSI, TANF or SNAP
Dislocated Worker Program
- Laid off or terminated from an employer
- Eligible, receiving, or exhausted Unemployment Benefits OR
- Displaced Homemaker OR
- Spouse of a member of the Armed Forces, who lost employment or became underemployed due to relocation OR
- Trade Impacted worker certified by a Department of Labor petition
- Be at least 17 through the age of 24
- Meets low income guidelines OR meets one or more barriers such as high school dropout, subject to the justice system, basic skills deficient, homeless, pregnant or parenting or disability.
Do I have to pay back any of the WIOA grant funds?
No, the WIOA grant funds do not have to be repaid.
I think I may be eligible. Where do I go to learn more?
You may go to our website, www.co.madison.il.us/mcetd & complete a pre-screening survey, or you can contact your local Southwestern Illinois Center for information and to sign up for an orientation.
There are offices in Wood River, Greenville, and Jerseyville.
Click HERE for office addresses and phone numbers.
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How often do you have orientation?
Orientations are conducted at least twice a month. Currently, they are being offered virtually through Zoom. The orientations at the Greenville and Jerseyville offices are scheduled individually by appointment & you may call there to set up a date & time.
To schedule a Zoom appointment, email email@example.com or call your preferred office.
Wood River office – (618) 296-4301
Greenville office – (618) 545-3473
Jerseyville office – (618) 498-1778
What steps will I have to go through before potentially being approved for WIOA tuition assistance?
Once you attend an orientation, you will be provided a WIOA checklist of items to complete including taking assessment tests. When you have completed your checklist, an assigned Career Specialist will help you determine your new career choice.
What kinds of training opportunities are available?
Primarily certificate programs or two-year associate degree programs in a growing field or industry. Our office has a local school list of program offerings or you may access the state provider website at: https://iwds.dceo.illinois.gov/iwds/iwdshome.html