Community Development is Accepting Scholarship Applications through June 7, 2019
CSBG Scholarship Application
Lewis & Clark Community College GED Class Information
Southwestern Illinois College GED Class Information
The Madison County Community Services Block Grant Program provides a wide-range of services and activities that have a direct, measurable impact on the causes of poverty in the county. Through implementation of the Community Services Block Grant Program, Madison County has established specific programs that address the problems of the poor and encourage self-sufficiency.
Utilizing funding provided by the Department of Health and Human Services and administered by the Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity and Madison County Community Development, the program utilizes between 10 percent of the annual grant to be set aside for economic development and job creating activities.
The Madison County Community Services Block Grant Program offers the following programs:
- Vocational Training- Madison County Community Development contracts with the Madison County Employment & Training department, Lewis & Clark Community College, Southwestern Illinois College, and The Nurses' Station to provide training to clients that have a high potential for employment opportunities.
Adult Basic Education (GED) – Madison County Community Development works in coordination with Lewis & Clark Community College and Southwestern Illinois College at its Granite City campus to provide GED instruction and testing fees for income eligible students;
- Scholarship Program – Madison County Community Development annually awards between 12-14 scholarships to students attending Southwestern Illinois College at Granite City, Lewis & Clark Community College and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville to assist eligible students with the expenses of a post-secondary education. Contact the Financial Aid office at the school for more information.
- Literacy Program- Madison County Community Development partners with Lewis and Clark Community College to operate the Youth Build- Building Futures Youth Development Program.
- Nutrition- CSBG funds are used to provide food assistance to local participating food pantries. Contact local food pantries for assistance;
- Transportation (Car Repair) Assistance to Maintain Employment Program – Community Services Block Grant funds are used to provide low-income individuals and families with assistance;
- Home Repairs – Madison County Community Development partners with IMPACT, CIL to provide accessibility ramps for disable clients. Both programs are for owner-occupied homeowners;
- Senior Meals – The Community Services Block Grant program enables the home delivery and congregate site meals for for disable clients and with Senior Services Plus for home repairs for seniors to maintain their independence;
- Youth Education Programs – Madison County Community Development works with Riverbend Family Ministries to provide after school supplementary education services, after school programs.
- Summer Camp- Madison County Community Development partners with Venice Park District and Quad City Community Development for summer education and recreation programs for disadvantaged youth;
- Family Self-Sufficiency – The Madison County Housing Authority provides subsidized housing assistance to families while working with the families to attend training, obtain jobs and become self-sufficient. Madison County Community Development provides financial assistance to fund the case management and supportive services elements of the program.
- Medical Assistance- Provides assistance to eligible clients for eye glasses and exam.
Income Eligibility Guidelines
At least 51% of the clients served by CSBG funds must be at or below the poverty level income. Assistance may also be provided to clients at 125% of the poverty line.
January 2018-January 2019
125% of Poverty (Income is calculated on 90-day income)
To apply for specific services, contact the agencies listed below:
Medical (Eye Glassware) Assistance
Glen Ed Pantry
|Local Food Pantries|
|The Salvation Army – Alton Corp
Telephone (618) 465-7764
|The Salvation Army – Granite City Corp
Telephone (618) 451-7957
|Community Care Center (Tri-cities)
Telephone (618) 876-8770
|Alpha & Omega Church
Telephone (618) 344-4091 (Collinsville)
|Collinsville Food Pantry
Telephone (618) 346-1861 (Collinsville)
|New Shining Light
Telephone (618) 530-2347 (Tri-cities)
Operation Blessing (Wood River)
Telephone (618) 251-5683
|Monica at Madison County Housing Authority - (618)-345-5142|
|Senior Services Plus - (618) 465-3298 Ext. 107|
|Highland Meals on Wheels - (618) 954-0356|
|Collinsville Township Senior Center- (618) 344-1290 Attn: Yenny|
|Home Repairs & Accessibility Ramp Program|
|IMPACT, CIL- (618) 462-1411 Kathy|
|Senior Services Plus- (618) 465-3298 Kelly|
|Youth & Summer Camp|
|Riverbend Family Ministires (618) 251-9790|
|Venice Park District (618) 451-7201
Quad City Community Development (618)876-4043
|Madison County Employment & Training (618)296-4301|
|Lewis & Clark Community College (618) 468-4145|
|Southwestern Illinois College (618)931-0600 ext. 7396|
|The Nurses' Station (618) 259-7781|
|Madison County Community Development (618)296-4382|
|Car Repair Assistance|
|Madison County Catholic Charities (Alton) (618)-462-0634|
|Madison County Catholic Charities (Granite City) (618)877-1184|
|Adult Basic Education (GED)
Lewis & Clark Community College (618)468-4141
Southwestern Illinois Collage 1-866-942-7942 ext. 5525
Literacy (Youthbuild) Program
Lewis & Clark Community College (618)468-4150
For more information regarding the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) program please visit the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity webpage at https://www.illinois.gov/dceo/CommunityServices/HousingAssistance/CSBG/Pages/default.aspx