It is estimated that nearly 3,500 children are physically and/or sexually abused in Madison County each year, although only 10 percent of sexual abuse cases are ever reported. The Madison County Child Advocacy Center (CAC) is available to help when child abuse has been reported. The goal of the CAC is to minimize trauma by conducting one, coordinated forensic interview with the child.
The Madison County Child Advocacy Center is an accredited member of the National Children’s Alliance and is designed to make children as comfortable as possible. The CAC provides a safe, child-friendly place where children are interviewed. The waiting rooms are furnished with child and teen friendly furniture and toys so the child feels more relaxed. The children find a comfortable, positive atmosphere, where they are supported by a multidisciplinary team of professionals.
The Center is equipped with recording equipment that allows members of the investigative team to observe the forensic interview of the child. The team meets before and after the interview to plan and further coordinate the investigation.
What We Do
- Provide a child friendly setting for thorough, skilled and objective evaluation of children identified as possible victims of sexual and/or serious physical abuse
- Minimize potential trauma related to the investigation of allegations by utilizing specially trained professionals to conduct forensic interviews of children and video taping each interview to reduce the number of times a child must tell about their abuse
- Conduct forensic interviews that are child-focused, developmentally appropriate and culturally sensitive
- Bring together a multi-disciplinary team to collaborate knowledge and skills to protect the child and provide a coordinated and comprehensive response
- Manage a referral and support system including referrals for specialized medical and mental health services for the child and his/her non-offending caretakers.
- Promote community and professional education related to child abuse prevention and intervention
Madison County Child Advocacy Center
101 E. Edwardsville Road
Wood River, IL 62095
Phone: (618) 296-5390
Fax: (618) 296-5380
Child Abuse Hotlines